“We are completely filled with GOD as Christ’s fullness overflows within us.” Colossians 2:10
I am in Christ and Christ is in me. We are tethered together. Bonded. Fused. Inseparably intertwined. I am a novice when it comes to appreciating the magnitude of this truth.
This I get: Because I am in Christ and Christ is in me…
- My primary identity is who I am in Christ (God’s beloved son. A sent-one. A servant).
- My purpose in life is to become like Christ; to believe what he believed, behave the way he behaved, and join him in his mission.
- My priorities in life are to reflect his priorities (seeking and saving, bringing good news to the poor and powerless, messaging his Kingdom).
Thus far in my adventurous journey of discovery… I have come to understand these things. However, I have barely scratched the surface of what it means to be one with Christ.
Here’s what I don’t yet get: If I am in Christ and Christ is in me…
- There must be a power to live and love like Jesus that exceeds anything I’ve experienced.
- There must be a plane of spiritual fellowship that’s more life-giving than anything I’ve known … and
- There must be a spiritual potential in my life that I have yet to unleash.
Every day I ask the LORD to keep me on the journey of discovering what it means to be in Christ and have Christ in me. I want to experience the fullness. I want to be ‘completely filled with GOD as Christ’s fullness overflows within.’ Someday, I hope to be able to say with Paul, “It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.”
How about you? What have you learned about your union with Christ? What are you learning now?